Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Guitar Hero III Review

Neversoft has sent the Guitar Hero franchise for a ride on the highway to hell.

Guitar Hero II was an extremely fun game, so when I heard Guitar Hero III was coming out, I thought it was going to continue down that path. I was wrong. First off, the game should not be titled "Legends of Rock". If you want to name a game that, get REAL legends! In this game there was very few. Also, I was curious as to where the guitar solos went. Only about half the songs in it had guitar solos in them. Even the Rolling Stones' song: Paint it, Black had no solo. And then, when you weren't bored out of your mind with them, you were struggling to keep your arm from falling off. Another flaw in the game was all the chords. Why so many chords? There were many more chords than were in the actual songs. It seems they just put them in there for fun. Sure it makes it harder, you know why? Because it's not meant to be played like that! I still have not beaten this game on expert and probably never will, because it's simply just not fun to fail all the time. As soon as you get to the last tier of songs, they turn to impossible mode. So that leaves me at a quagmire at what to rate the difficulty as. And yet another flaw, is that Guitar Hero III looks almost exactly like Guitar Hero II. I remember watching an interview with one of the people working on Guitar Hero III and they said they wanted to keep similar things because that's what makes the game what it is. Well that's fine, but I'd like to know what they actually changed. Overall, I think Neversoft ruined a very fun franchise, with some terrible bands, lack of guitar solos, and lack of guitar legends.

Score
5/10

No comments: